Monday, March 7, 2011

FIVE: Ebony G. Patterson

�FIVE� is a newly added question and answer feature at BlackArtistNews where five questions are posed to an individual artist, curator, gallerist, collector or art lover. Why five questions? Well, there are five fingers on each hand and artists create with their hands hence one, two, three, four, FIVE
?
Ebony G. Patterson. Photo by Quam Odunsi/Reserved Result (RR). All rights reserved. Used with permission.

Buzz-worthy terms like �next�, �one to watch� and �rising art star� have lined the career path of emerging artist Ebony G. Patterson. And given her rapid trajectory she could easily be dubbed the �Usain Bolt of the Art World.� And rightly so: She displays the same steadfast and confident commitment to her practice that her fellow Jamaican does to his track-and-field pursuits. Patterson definitely earns a gold medal for her first Chicago solo exhibition, on view until March 26th at moniquemeloche where BlackArtistNews caught up with the very busy yet extremely gracious artist: 

What is your earliest memory of making art?

My parents teaching me how to draw. My mommy taught me how to draw people, my daddy taught me how to draw birds.


Is your process solitary or do you work with assistants?

Both. My installations involve a lot of people particularly the photo-based installations: The use of models, photographers, and an assistant help me bring it all together. But my drawings and my paintings are [done solitarily]. I enjoy the wide experiences of both.


You're a Jamaican woman who teaches in Lexington, KY. How are you able to break through culture barriers and inspire your students?

Well, I am very close in age to my students so relating on some level is not too difficult. I share my experiences with my students and I encourage them to do the same with me. I never let them feel that I am the only one who has lessons to offer; I believe teaching happens both ways: teacher-to-student, student-to-teacher.


How important is it for an artist to be able to articulate one's work?

Extremely. It's just another way of thinking. If you made it you should be able to articulate it!


Does art matter?

Of course it does! [That�s like asking] �does food matter�?
 

Installation view of Ebony G. Patterson at moniquemeloche, Chicago:


View more works by Ebony G. Patterson at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...