Friday, January 21, 2011

Labelling Cosmetics

Although many people assume that every cosmetic product on the shelves of America has been tested for safety in government regulation, the truth is that there is no ivory tower, filled with researchers in lab coats to perform blind that ingredient. This is a concern because the average American is exposed to 126 different chemicals in cosmetic products each day, according to EWG. Since 1938, Congress passed laws that provide only a consumer, cosmetics, and in 1975 the FDA was directed to take the words "Warning: This product safety is not defined" is a cosmetic which contains a substance that has not proven safe before of sale (self-test is not legally required).

"I know no one has seen all the branded cosmetics," says Lauren Suchet, a spokesman for GTE. Suchet said experts funded by industry, the Cosmetic Ingredient Review, considered 11 percent FDA only 10,500 cosmetic ingredients cataloged, and the other 89 percent of the ingredients can be found in 99 percent of products on the market. In June 2004, EWG has asked the FDA on this issue and in February of agency sent a letter to the cosmetics and perfumery Association warning that the organization is seriously enforce the law on labeling.

FDA letter said that the Agency will seek to develop definitive guidelines for companies to use to show the product's safety. Sucher explains, there is no current definition of "security" when it comes to individual products, and there is "no requirement that the company prove that the product does not cause cancer, birth defects, and so on." European laws are now stricter in this regard. FDA spokesman said the Green Guide that his agency is preparing a formal response to the EWG, but can not comment on the measures to be taken.

Sucher said her group is focusing its attention on 20 products, including Desitin diaper rash ointment and cons Triple Action Stridex pads that contain ingredients that industry assessments have shown can cause harm when used as directed, and in the 356 personal care products contain ingredients that, according to the committee's review of the industry, the lack of sufficient data to support their safe use. The Working Group has also developed a list of nine common cosmetic ingredients that are particularly toxic (and in most cases, known or suspected carcinogens), including coal tar, parabens, talc asbestiform fibers, progesterone, lead acetate , phenol, resorcinol, crystalline silica and carrageenan.

Meanwhile, consumers can choose to avoid products with questionable ingredients and may seek more natural alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...